Vestigia nulla retrorsum
logo

Fundraising

BUILDING ON OUR TRADITION OF GIVING

Since its establishment in 1898, St George’s College has relied on the generosity of its donors and benefactors – alumni, parents, past parents and community friends – to enhance its facilities, develop its academic programs, fund the rich diversity of co-curricular and sporting activities. The objective of the Development Office is to assist the school in improving levels of quality, equity and relevance building, promoting and strengthening the institutional spirit through private fundraising for the building development. The construction of new facilities and remodeling of existing ones are meant to create the best possible learning environment for students.

History of donations

The Sanatorium
1910
The sanatorium was built thanks to a Sanatorium Fund. The first part of the current sanatorium was completed in 1910 and in 1920 the building was enlarged due to the increase in alumni. Periodically it has received many useful gifts from students’ mothers which fully equipped the sanatorium covering its necessities.

The Pavilion
1911
The pavilion was inaugurated on November 1911 in memory of the Coronation of King George V. It was constructed thanks to the Pavillion Fund and two important contributions: Messrs J Drysdale and Co supplied the materials needed at cost price and Mr Buck, Mrs Chambers and Mr Thomas supervised the building gratuitously.

The Chapel
1913
For the construction of our chapel, Mrs. Henderson started a fund to which most community members contributed a part. Thanks to this on Founder’s Day of 1913 the foundation stone was laid by Mrs. Stevenson, and was blessed by the Bishop.
The clock tower and the organ are two beautiful contributions to our chapel from private donors:
CLOCKTOWER: The name Agar is a household word at St. George’s, associated with the two brothers, James and William, partners of the old and highly reputed firm of Agar, Cross and Co. The former had no sons, but contributed regularly for many years to various funds. Just before his retirement to England, he most generously gave the money to cover the cost of the Chapel tower and clock in memory of his mother.
CHAPEL ORGAN: Mr. Joseph Drysdale donated the chapel organ in memory of Mrs. Sansinena, his wife’s sister, who had the early charge of his children, owing to the death of Mrs. Drysdale. He expressed the desire that it should be very good. It was, and still is, while it has afforded great pleasure to many and has enhanced the dignity and brightness of the services. He also gave a liberal donation to the Chapel Building Fund.

The Gymnasium/ Jackson Library
1920
It was officially opened on Founder’s Day 1920 as a peace commemoration. The memorial plaque says: “To perpetuate the students who offered themselves in the cause of Truth, Liberty and Justice in the Great War, AD 1914-1918, and who resolved to fight for Freedom and Honor”. Mr. J. M. Eddy donated much of the apparatus of the gymnasium.
In 1978 the building was refurbished as a library, named in memory of Ralph B. Jackson, headmaster of St George’s College between 1940 and 1961.

The Centenary Hall
1998
The Centernay Hall was inaugurated in 1998 to commemorate St George’s College first centenary, it is one of the most important theaters in the province of Buenos Aires. Endowed with great reputation for its stunning architecture, the auditorium was built with funds donated by members of the Georgian Community: Parents, Old G’s, members of the Board of Directors, staff and friends of the institution. It has the proprietary technology of professional theaters and a capacity for 800 people.
Designed to strengthen the bonds of their community with the various Creative Arts, the Centenary Hall cradles each year a variety of institutional events and is home to such important events locally and internationally.

Science Labs
2009

Hockey Astroturf
2014
On April 5th 2014, St George’s College inaugurated its first synthetic hockey astroturf. It was the first project held by the formal Development Office consolidated in 2013.
Members of the Community participated in the capital campaign granting St George’s the possibility of hosting sporting events of high standards.