The opening of St George’s College North in March 1990 was the realization of a dream that had been talked about in Old Georgian circles for more than a generation. St George’s College North was created as a sister, co-educational day school to be run on similar lines to St George’s College Quilmes. It is a wonderful blend of old traditions with the inspiration and excitement of a young school that offers a first class education.
In 1895 the Rev J. T. Stevenson was invited to go as chaplain to All Saints’ Church in Quilmes, where “there resided 2000 adherents of the Anglican Church and where there was scope for development.” On arrival he found that the situation was quite the opposite and consequently, he intended to return to England. However, there existed the possibility to start a school for boys and Canon Stevenson approached the Bishop’s Council for permission. Despite some hesitancy, the Quinta Rooke was leased for two years and then bought, due to the generosity of many people and firms. The approximate area was 72,000 square metres, and the building consisted of a large, rambling one-storey house, a small cottage and stable accommodation. The Headmaster’s family, the boys, the matron and maids lived in the house, while the assistant masters and the servants occupied the cottage.
The Founders had agreed to open the School provided there were 20 boys, all of whom had to be boarders; but actually the School opened in 1898 with only six students. This was made possible because the Headmaster, who was still Chaplain of Quilmes, gave his services for free and because the Founders agreed to cover any deficit from their own pockets.
Progress was slow at first. From time to time further land was purchased and buildings erected and enlarged. In 1901 the first edition of the school magazine, The Georgian, was published and in 1908 the Old Georgian Club was formed. The first Old Georgian Dinner was held in 1910, and in the same year the Sanatorium was built. The pavilion, which still stands, was erected in 1911 to celebrate the coronation of King George V. The foundation stone of the College chapel was laid on Founders’ Day in 1913.
In 1929 the Preparatory School was opened and in March 1935 Canon Stevenson retired. In his farewell speech to the Old Georgians, he said: “I take this opportunity to remind you that it is not what a man gets but what a man is that counts. He should first think of his character and then of his condition, for he that has character need have no fears about his condition, as character will draw after it, condition. Risk, then, everything for that, as your greatest capital in life is your character.” This still holds true for St George’s College students today.
In 1965 day students were accepted as students in the College and in 1975 girls entered, as students for the first time. In 1985 the College adopted the International Baccalaureate which would enable students to enter universities in Europe, the USA and many other parts of the world, as well as in this country. The provision of a Kindergarten for children between 3 and 6 was inaugurated in 1988 by refurbishing the Old Georgian pavilion at the west end of the Quilmes campus.
In March 1990, St George’s College North opened at Los Polvorines, in San Jorge Village with Kindergarten and Primary students only. The secondary section was opened in March 1991 with students up to year 3 who sat for the IGCSE examinations at the end of the year. 1993 saw the first graduates take the IB examinations. This would be the beginning of a history of fine academic achievements by St George’s College North students. In 1994 Luciano Castagnola achieved 9 A’s at IGCSE level and he repeated this impressive feat two years later when he became the first South American to achieve the maximum score of 45 points in his IB Diploma. In 2015 Juana Gazcón achieved the highest marks in all of Argentina with 43 points; a real St George’s triumph!
The International aspect of the college has been developed in many ways in a very short time. It is one of the pioneers of the IB in Argentina and one of the first schools to implement all three programmes. The MYP was introduced in 1997 followed by the PYP in 2001. Many staff and students come from abroad and give the school a truly cosmopolitan atmosphere.
St George’s College North has developed a reputation as a leading school in the Creative Arts area with its plays, concerts and exhibitions in all sections, ensuring a well-balanced education.
There were nearly one hundred and fifty old boys of the College at the time. The following year, on 23 April the first Old Georgian dinner was held at the Pheonix Hotel. There were twenty four present.1908
The four letters carved on the stone, A.D.M.G., stand for Ad Dei Maiorem Gloriam - to the Greater Glory of God. The following year, on 23 April the service of Dedication of the College Chapel took place.1913
On that year, the school adopted a house system, the four houses being designated Lockwood, Farran, Agar, and Cutts.1923
Mr. A.H.F. Tschiffley, who was physical instructor at St. George’s for several years, started his 10,000 mile horseback ride from Buenos Aires to San Francisco and New York. After three and a half years Mr Tschiffley completed his epic 10,000 mile horseback ride.1925
It consisted of an Art Room, Library, Reading Room and Lavatories and was at first utilised as dormitories for Junior boys. This is now the Maths department and Reception area.1928
Completely self-contained, it had accommodation for seventy boys aged eight to twelve, in five dormitories, and bedrooms for three masters, with headmaster’s quarters as a separate entity but forming part of the main building.1929
This Cup, to be contested in an annual soccer match between the College and Old Georgian Club was instituted by Eric “Chaco”Kember.1935
St. George’s had its first rugby international player when an Old Georgian played for England.1949
This is now the oldest building in the Kindergarten.1950
Seven dormitories, the dining room and kitchen, the Master’s dining room, the Matron’s room and three Master’s flats were destroyed. The fire occurred on the first Sunday of the July holidays when few people were about, and when eventually discovered was completely out of control. An ambitious rebuilding programme was embarked upon.1959
It was located in the gutted and restored Old Georgian Pavilion.1988
Thanks to the contribution of OG Freddie Pratt, the school museum is inaugurated. It is temporarily located in the Sanford area.1998
The new Development Office aims to promote the school and strengthen links with the Old Georgian Community.2010
On Monday 8th July the construction of our first hockey synthetic Astroturf begun with an estimated due date for December this year. Fund raising efforts for this project started in December 2012 and continue energetically. St George's is very grateful for those fourteen individual donors that contributed with the project and for each member of the Community who participated in any of our fundraising campaigns.2013